Since I replaced my motherboard, I had problems with my onboard network chip (r8169). There was impossible to made a net installation and I finally managed to install Arch in offline mode… Then, whenever I boot into Arch, the network works, (i.e., ping google.com works), but after generating some network flow, like update or install a package or surfing the web, the network stopped working completely. Then no program, including ping, can reach any address anymore. The IP address is kept, as ifconfig tells me.
After some time the network just works again! Ping works again, as well as the name resolution in the output of route. There is no additional log message in the output of dmesg. However, after some time the network failure repeats. (It goes on this way.)
That was the experience of one of the users of Arch’s BBS, as well as mine. If you had reached this blog entry, I guess you’re suffering the same issue we had.
Well, as far as I can say, it is a old issue with realtek’s r8169 kernel module
And here comes the big hit. After some time the network just works again! Ping works again, as well as the name resolution in the output of route. There is no additional log message in the output of dmesg. However, after some time the network failure repeats. (It goes on this way.)
Well, after hours searching a solution, I find it in the kernel module r8169. That KM is designed for that network interface, but it seems its buggy. Anyway, the solution is right away: you only need to install kernel module r8168 from AUR and blacklist r8169
In order to install r8168, you will need an active internet connection… I miraculously find a old 10/100Mb realtek ethernet, with the old -and good- 8139too kernel module working as a charm. I installed it, and then installed the new r8168 kernel as follows:
echo "blacklist r8169" > /etc/modprobe.d/r8169_blacklist.conf
After reboot, my new integrated 1GB ethernet works as expected.